Wednesday 3 September 2014

Induction Day! DIGITAL ZOMBIES, Ice Breakers & Funny Collages! 28/08/2014

Today was the day I was introduced to my Tutor class and my Foundation Diploma course in Media/Design.

During one of our ice breakers, we all split up into groups of 4 which consisted of Jack, Mini, Chi & I. The task required us to fold an A2 piece of paper into 4 and with each section we would draw the head, torso, legs and the shoes of the model. Here are the results of the two drawings our group created.
We call this creation 'Chack.'  Jack+Chi=Chack

 This piece here was drawn by Mini & I. Using the various mediums such as pencil & felt tips, we wanted to create a composition which showcased a unique cartoon like feel. I drew the torso and shoes whilst Mini drew the face and legs. As you can see, although the sections of the body as a whole are not perfectly proportioned, I personally love the outcome of this picture as I recognize the similarities of certain features to both Jack and Chi who were our models. Plus, it's funny the way it looks like a male prisoner who belongs in the tv series 'Orange is the new black.' 


This drawing was drawn by Jack and Chi. The face and legs are from Mini and the torso and shoes are mine. Pencil was the main medium used in this piece, whilst the shoes which were drawn using a orange felt tip to replicate the tan colour of my shoes seems to be the main focus. This image in my opinion may not be the spitting image of Mini and myself, however I like the way the entire body looks like it belongs to a real person. 

What was successful? 
In my opinion, I would say that the drawing Mini & I created was fairly successful. Considering the fact that we adopted a similar yet different style in our drawings which may look like one person drew it all, on the other hand you can tell it was drawn by two different people; from the placement and shading of the drawing. I feel that my style here in this piece were block colours, blunt and simple whereas Mini's style considers the shading and detail of certain features for example, the face and the denim texture which as a result made a successful piece which considers both.  Moreover, I also feel that the technique and mediums that were used flowed throughout the entire piece which made it look more complete. 

What I was not happy with? 
I only drew the torso and shoes of the first image, but even with those two sections I am not happy with it. In a sense that to me, it looks like a drawing from a 5 year old. Actually, a 5 year old could do probably better than what I did. I wanted to add in detail and depth of the textures/materials of the shoes and the jumper but because of time management and not focusing 100% on drawing, since we were interviewing each other too and just talking in general, I couldn't focus properly on what I was drawing. 

What was challenging/difficult?
It has been such a long time since I have drawn, especially people or faces which I would say are my weakness when it comes to drawing. Plus, I am the type of person who is really detail orientated so I tend to waste time on a tiny area. Therefore, I knew that the aim of this task was not necessarily how good my drawing was, but to ensure that my point was made across which I felt I did. Regardless, I would say that it's still challenging to draw on the spot in a short amount of time. I hope to improve that over time during this course of this foundation. 

What I found easy about the task?
Since I had already met my team members earlier, it was easy for me to talk and ease myself into our task. Plus, I'm very social and I love to talk/joke around, so the interviewing part of the task was my favorite. Since it was still early ages of the course, we were still getting to know one another so it was nice to be able to interview and know more about each other. To be honest, I feel that the comfortable and jokey atmosphere of knowing each other was shown across in our images we drew of each other, to me, they look comical and cartoon like just like our personalities. 

What did I learn?
Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the task. It's a great starter task to combine our subject which is art/drawing and getting to know your classmates. I learnt that it's important to be able to adapt to any setting and draw on the spot. It's not about how detailed, good or quick you are with art, but the most important is that your message is put across clearly. Also, not to compare yourself with other artists, there's a reason why we're all here and you can tell from the drawings, all four of our styles are completely different yet we are able to tell what's what, which to me, is the most important thing. 

How can I improve for the future? 
It's very crucial for me to manage my time well. I'm going to ensure that I have a rough plan of what I want to do and ensure that I allocate good time for every section I want to do, this way, it'll keep me on track and hopefully enable me to finish on time. From my current planning pattern, I have improved a lot so I want to continue to stop pondering and thinking about what I want to do and start on the things I can immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment