Saturday 13 September 2014

DAY 5 - The Feast Inspiration & the Conch. 09/09/2014


My favorite art piece, well one of my favorites of all time has to be 'the feast' by Eddie Martinez. 


I saw this painting at the Saatchi Gallery during a visit and was mesmerized. Firstly, it's massive so already it's attention grabbing and secondly,  the wackiness of the enitre painting and the style in whcih Martinez draws in just drew me into this picture. 

Using this art peice as my inspiration to create a 3d objecy out of paper, I was immediately drawn to the conch looking item which is near the centre of the page, taking up nearly the whole entire table of randomness. I used a mizture of various materials, from newspaper, tissue paper, yarn to card. 




These are the outcome of my final 3d object. Overall, it seems very bulky, yet to me, the most important aspect of this task was to translate an item or an aspect from your favorite art piece and bring it to life. I would say that this does remind me of the conch item from the painting. I am happy with the overall outcome. It's unique, creative and wacky which totally reflects the painting itself. Moreover, i tried to incorporate some colour with the tissue paper in which the conch in the picture also has various bold colours inside it. However, if I were to improve on this, i would simplify this so then during the next stage of the task, I would be able to easily make a dress using my 3D item, as it was difficult to place such a bulky object to a mannequin.


Here is a composition picture of the items that were created on our table together. 

For the dress making part of the day, we had to produce 10+ of the items we created to create a dress or item of clothing pinned onto a mannequin. I simplified my idea and created these circle rings out of magazine. The multicoloured paper from the magazine to me, reflects the bold and bright colours from the painting. i chose the two words, mixed media and wacky. 

My partner was Susan whose items were the total opposite of mine and exuded femininity and floral, which I felt would give a nice contrast to my bold and stark rings. Here are the creations that were created with mine and Susans items from out fellow peers. 





Here are the outcomes Susan & I created to our fellow peers creations.





No comments:

Post a Comment