Wednesday 3 September 2014

FIRST DAY! Who is Lily Duong? 02/09/2014

The project is... PASSPORT! Identifying and showing who I am.

Our task required us to bring a couple of items that had a significant meaning to us. Using those items, we had to create an A2 piece; it was entirely up to us regarding the composition, positioning or how we interpreted those items into our big piece. I wanted to show dynamic and different levels of height with the positioning when I took these photos. I like the height of the mirror and the double reflection with the objects stacked one after the other.



My 6 items:

My blue owl purse: This purse is part of a couple purse that me and my best friend both have. She has a purple one and I have a blue one. We both bought it at one of our favorite stores, Tiger, which is actually where I work now. Although it's tatty and the nose is missing, it's still precious to me since I have had it for quite a while, plus it carries important items inside. Also it's cute and the zip still works, so until it stops serving it's purpose of carrying my things in it, it will still be living in my bag. 

Hello Kitty keyring: From a young age, I have always been a big fan of Hello Kitty. She represents my childhood, something that I can no longer experience but will never forget. It's a nostalgic feeling that can only be felt when you have a deep connection to something. Plus, this specific key ring was given to me by my best friend on my 19th birthday. This item is just a little showcase of my hello kitty collection that I have at home. 

Jade necklace: I come from China/Vietnam. It's important for me to always remember that I have a culture and background that I may not follow as strict now living in a Western country, however it's important to me to understand and learn the lives that my parents lived during the time they lived back in our home country. I was born here in London, however during a 2 week trip to China with my friends at school, I purchased this necklace at a random stall which cost me around £25. I never knew how much I'd cherish this necklace but considering that I wear it nearly every single day, it must mean a lot to me.

Aztec silver bangle: This bangle is significant to me simply because I've been enjoying wearing it very much these days. The simplicity of the bangle against the slight detail of the Aztec to me is beautiful. It's classic and goes with anything. I love fashion. mixing and matching clothing is something I thoroughly enjoy. This bangle showcases my interest in fashion . 

Floral mirror: I may seem like a confident person on the outside, but I'm just as afraid, shy and insecure as the next person. This mirror is not to showcased vanity and beauty, but it's to represent the reflection of who I am on the inside. It's significance is to teach me to accept my flaws as a person and that I can't be like that person or that person, and that no one can be a better me than me. It's a constant reminder that I'm made to be how I am for a reason and that God has a purpose for me in this cruel world. 


PIC!!!!!

How did I get on with the task? 
Considering my items were all quite plain and lacked detail, I wanted to incorporate and highlight details from my items for example, rather than just drawing the mirror as a whole, I wanted to use the beautiful detail of the floral design to fill up the empty space of the large piece of paper. I wanted to ensure that the space was used smartly and that the whole page was filled well. 

What was successful?
I very much enjoyed this task since it gave us the freedom to use any objects we're familiar with. Plus, I would say that I have been successful in trying to implement various styles into this piece. I combined simplicity with detail and colour with black and white. I made sure to include every item I took into the picture and highlighted specific details of items and enlarged them, for example, the Aztec detail from my silver bangle runs through the entire piece which I love. 

What was I not happy with?
I feel that my main focus was to ensure that the entire page was filled up that I didn't really think about the placement of the images I drew. Also, I feel that the basic images that lack detail are too plain and not detailed enough, yet I can't complain since they're originally like that in real life so I feel a bit unsure with those. 

How can I improve for the future?
For a task like this, I'd want to have a variety of items that level in different heights and different shapes. I believe this way, it'd be more fun and interesting to translate to paper. Also, maybe next time it'd be nice to use other mediums such as paint. I enjoy using paint especially acrylic and oil so I'd make sure to use those. Also, have a rough sketch of what I want to draw so I can plan beforehand and change any ideas before I start my final piece. 



No comments:

Post a Comment